To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

13-year-old dies after trying TikTok 'Benadryl Challenge'

13-year-old dies after trying TikTok 'Benadryl Challenge'

A 13-year-old boy has tragically died after attempting the dangerous TikTok 'Benadryl Challenge'.

A 13-year-old teenage boy from Ohio, USA, has tragically died after suffering an overdose of the over-the-counter medication Benadryl whilst attempting a viral TikTok ‘trend’. The so-called ‘Benadryl Challenge’ encourages participants to take high doses of the antihistamine in a bid to induce hallucinations.

It goes without saying that this is highly dangerous and should not be attempted. As reported by local outlet ABC6, the challenge included taking 12 to 14 pills at which point, it was claimed that the participant should experience a hallucination. The 13-year-old Jacob Stevens though suffered a severe overdose which, his family said, left him on a ventilator for six days. Tragically, Jacob ultimately passed away. His family have released a photo of Jacob in hospital as a way to warn other young people against attempting the dangerous challenge.

"I’m going to do anything I can to make sure another child doesn’t go through it," Dianna Stevens, Jacob’s grandmother, said. The boy’s father, Justin Stevens, described Jacob’s passing as “the worst day of his life”. Jacob had reportedly attempted the ‘challenge’ at home with his friends. Shortly after taking the medication, Jacob’s friends reported that the 13-year-old’s body had begun seizing.

Justin Stevens told ABC6 that he felt like time had stopped when he was eventually told that his son would never wake up. “No brain scan, there was nothing there. They said we could keep him on the vent, that he could lay there but he will never open his eyes. He’ll never breathe, smile, walk or talk.” He continued, “It didn’t matter how bad of a day I was having [and if] no one could make me smile, Jacob could make me smile.”

His family warned other parents, “Keep an eye at what they’re doing on that phone. Talk to them about the situation. I want everyone to know about my son.” Jacob’s family are also working to get lawmakers to put an age restriction on purchasing medicines like Benadryl.

GAMINGbible extends its condolences to Jacob’s family and friends.

Featured Image Credit: Pixabay via Pexels, Courtesy of the Stevens family

Topics: TikTok, no article matching